Former DOJ Attorneys and FBI Agents Advising Company Executives, Board Members, Financiers, and Others in New York City
New York City has long been the center of the business and financial world. Given the sheer number of companies operating and volume of financial transactions executed in the city on a daily basis, New York City has long been a focal point of the federal government’s white collar law enforcement efforts as well.
Federal authorities such as the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) are constantly conducting investigations in New York City. These investigations target a broad range of crimes, businesses, and individuals. From securities fraud to bribery and corruption, and from defrauding government programs to financing terrorist activities, all types of criminal activity are under the microscope.
Centuries of Combined Experience and Proven Results in White Collar Criminal Matters
At Oberheiden P.C., our white collar defense lawyers have centuries of combined experience and proven results in high-stakes corporate and financial matters. This includes experience and results on both sides of federal white collar investigations, indictments, trials, and appeals. Many of our lawyers served as U.S. Attorneys, Assistant U.S. Attorneys, and trial lawyers with the DOJ before entering private practice, and our white collar defense team also includes consultants who previously served in high-ranking positions with federal agencies including:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation (IRS CI)
- U.S. Department of Defense Office of Inspector General (DOD OIG)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- U.S. Department of Justice Office of Inspector General (DOJ OIG)
- U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS)
- U.S. Secret Service
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
If you or your company is facing the risk of prosecution in U.S. District Court, this is the type of experience you need on your side. Our defense lawyers and former federal agents understand what is at stake. We know how and why federal authorities investigate and pursue charges in white collar cases, and we know what it takes to mount a strategic and successful defense.
Why NYC Companies Choose Oberheiden P.C. for White Collar Criminal Defense
Of course, there is no shortage of white collar criminal defense firms in New York City. So, why do companies choose Oberheiden P.C.?
- Immediate Response and Emergency Representation – We ensure that we are able to provide immediate responses to new and existing clients facing federal white collar investigations. When necessary, we can provide full-scale representation on an emergency basis.
- Nationwide Defense Capabilities – Many of our clients in New York City have offices and operations in other cities across the country. With our nationwide network of defense lawyers and consultants, we are able to provide representation no matter where our clients are facing federal scrutiny.
- Exclusive Representation By Senior Defense Lawyers – Unlike other law firms, we do not assign legions of junior associates to our clients’ defense matters. All of our lawyers have senior-level experience, as do our federal defense consultants.
- Vast Experience in High–Stakes Federal White-Collar Cases – With our defense lawyers’ and consultants’ federal law enforcement backgrounds, we have vast experience in white collar matters. This experience allows us to offer deep insights and actionable strategic recommendations right away.
- Post-Resolution Compliance Representation and Consulting – In addition to serving as defense counsel, we also assist our clients with avoiding additional federal scrutiny going forward. By helping our clients address the issues that led to the government’s inquiry through effective corporate compliance, we are able to help them avoid similar inquiries in the future.
In the vast majority of cases, we have succeeded in resolving our clients’ cases at the investigative stage. When our clients’ cases have proceeded to indictments (before our involvement in most instances), we have had significant success achieving favorable pre-trial results and securing favorable verdicts and appellate rulings as necessary.
Defense Counsel for All Types of Federal White Collar Cases in New York City
Our federal white collar defense practice encompasses all types of cases against businesses, financial institutions, executives, board members, and other entities and individuals in New York City. For example, we routinely defend clients against allegations such as:
- Accounting and Financial Fraud – We defend entities and individuals accused of accounting fraud, misrepresenting financial data, defrauding consumers, and other crimes.
- Bribery and Corruption – We defend companies and government officials accused of engaging in (and attempting to engage in) transactions prohibited by federal anti-bribery and corruption laws.
- Conspiracy – Conspiracy charges can ensnare companies and individuals who have extremely limited ties to alleged white collar criminal activity. We have significant experience defending clients against these charges.
- Corporate Fraud – We defend companies and their board members and executives against allegations of insider trading, conflicts of interest, and other forms of corporate fraud.
- Embezzlement and Theft of Corporate Assets – We defend company insiders, outside professionals, and others accused of embezzlement and theft of corporate assets in New York City.
- Financial Crimes – We have substantial experience defending corporations, banks, brokers, traders, and other clients all types of alleged financial crimes.
- Import/Export Crimes – We defend companies and individuals facing allegations of import and export-related crimes in New York City, including crimes that violate Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions.
- Intellectual Property Crimes – We defend companies and individuals accused of misappropriation, intentional infringement, and other types of intellectual property crimes.
- Mail and Wire Fraud – Federal authorities routinely include mail and wire fraud charges in white collar indictments. We are routinely successful in defending clients against these charges.
- Money Laundering – Money laundering charges are common in cases involving alleged financial crimes, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act violations, and other organized criminal activity. We have significant experience defending clients against these charges as well.
- Securities Fraud – We defend publicly-traded companies, privately-held companies, corporate insiders, brokers, and other clients against all types of securities fraud allegations.
- Tax Evasion and Tax Fraud – We have successfully defended numerous individual and corporate clients against allegations of tax evasion and tax fraud. We handle cases involving income and employment taxes, foreign financial assets, and other tax-related matters.
FAQs: Defending Against Federal White Collar Criminal Allegations in New York City
What Should I Do If the DOJ or FBI is Investigating My Business in New York City?
If the DOJ or FBI is investigating your business in New York City, you need to engage experienced federal white collar defense counsel. These investigations can move quickly, and they can have major ramifications if you aren’t careful. Your business’s defense counsel will be able to deal with the DOJ or FBI on your behalf, advise you throughout the investigative process, and steer the investigation toward a favorable result.
What Should I Do if I Have Received a Target Letter, Subpoena, or Civil Investigative Demand in New York City?
If you have received a target letter, subpoena, or civil investigative demand from the DOJ, FBI, IRS, SEC, or any other federal agency, it is important that you speak with a lawyer right away. You must respond very carefully, as errors in your response could trigger federal charges regardless of the legitimacy of the allegations underlying the government’s inquiry. If you are at risk for federal prosecution, you will need an experienced federal white collar criminal defense lawyer on your side going forward.
What is the Best Way to Handle an SEC Inquiry?
The best way to handle any type of SEC inquiry is to engage defense counsel promptly. Here too, mistakes can be extremely costly, and circumstances can quickly get out of hand. At Oberheiden P.C., we have significant experience dealing with the SEC on behalf of our clients, and we can use this experience to help protect you and your company, firm, or financial institution.
What is the Best Way to Handle an IRS CI Investigation?
Likewise, the best way to handle an IRS CI investigation is to engage defense counsel to handle the investigation on your behalf. As IRS CI often works in conjunction with other federal agencies (i.e., the DOJ, FBI, and SEC), it is important not to choose a law firm that focuses exclusively on tax-related representation. With our firm’s broad federal white collar criminal defense practice, we are capable of handling all aspects of our clients’ investigations.
What Factors Should I Consider When Choosing a New York City White Collar Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Relevant experience is the most important factor to consider when choosing a New York City white collar criminal defense lawyer. Federal white collar cases are unique from all other types of legal matters, and it is imperative that you choose a defense lawyer—and ideally a defense team—that has handled situations like yours many times before. At Oberheiden P.C., all of our defense lawyers and consultants have extensive experience in federal white collar cases.
Speak with a Senior White Collar Criminal Defense Lawyer at Oberheiden P.C.
If you would like to know more about Oberheiden P.C.’s federal white collar criminal defense practice in New York City, we encourage you to contact us promptly. Please call 888-680-1745 or contact us online to speak with a senior lawyer today.