Will Newman represents clients in litigation, arbitration, and government investigations. His experience includes all stages of litigation, including motion practice, discovery, trials, appeals, and avoiding the burden and publicity of court proceedings.
Litigation & Trials. Will has served as lead litigation counsel in state and federal courts across the United States and in arbitration. He has built a reputation as a go-to litigator who diligently studies the facts and law and effectively presents his client’s cases. He is attentive to his clients’ needs, reassuring in stressful situations, and determined to provide the highest quality representation. Will’s experience includes representing:
- A retailer in a government investigation concerning allegations of state statute violations, leading to the government not pursuing litigation.
- A technology company at trial in federal court on the issues concerning whether a product was defective and whether the plaintiff sued the correct defendant, leading to a successful post-trial settlement.
- A pharmaceutical company at trial in federal court on the issue of whether it violated an asset purchase agreement, leading to a successful post-trial settlement.
- An employer in an arbitration hearing, leading to a dismissal of claims of retaliation and failure to pay sales commissions.
- A publicly traded company at a state court trial of a contract claim, leading to a multimillion-dollar jury verdict in its favor.
- A prominent family, leading to the pre-trial dismissal of claims that they violated federal human trafficking laws.
- A major bank, leading to the rejection of claims that it violated federal regulations.
- A government contractor, leading to a favorable settlement of a class action lawsuit, alleging the violation of state labor laws.
- A chemical exporter, leading to a favorable settlement of a contract claim.
- A software company, leading to pre-discovery dismissal of a contract claim.
- An individual, leading to a favorable appellate decision concerning the application of a state child support statute.
Will began his career as a transactional attorney at White & Case LLP in 2007, but then worked in the litigation departments of Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP and Becker Glynn Muffly Chassin & Hosinski LLP.
Subpoena Compliance & Discovery.
Will frequently represents clients who receive subpoenas to provide evidence in litigation or who seek to obtain evidence to use in another jurisdiction. He routinely helps clients:
- Object to overbroad subpoenas.
- Gather and produce documents.
- Prepare for and testify at depositions and trials.
- Negotiate for compensation for their compliance with a subpoena.
- Obtain discovery in support of foreign litigation.
- Ensure the discovery process goes as smoothly as possible.
Education & Admission. Before his work as a lawyer, Will earned a bachelor’s degree from Brown University and a law degree from the New York University School of Law. He also studied law at the University of Copenhagen. And he taught technology class to elementary school students at the Village Community School in New York.
The Wall Street Journal and the New York Post have cited Will as an authority on legal issues. He is an associate editor of the American Bar Association magazine, Litigation News, and the author of the litigation blog, Unpredictable. And Will has won public speaking awards in English and in French.
He is admitted to practice in New York as well as before numerous federal courts including the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern District of New York. He regularly represents clients in disputes throughout the United States with the assistance of colleagues in other jurisdictions.