Skilled Former DOJ Prosecutors Defending Clients in Chicago, Illinois
Are you under federal investigation? Did you receive a federal grand jury subpoena or a target letter? Were you or someone you were affiliated with recently arrested? Are you looking for lawyers that focus their practice on federal criminal defense? Do you need lawyers with a real track record in federal cases? This is The Criminal Defense Firm
- Former Dpt. of Justice Officials
- Former Federal Prosecutors & DOJ Trial Attorneys
- Experienced Federal Criminal Defense Attorneys
The Criminal Defense Firm is a team of former Department of Justice prosecutors and senior defense attorneys that defend the good people of Chicago and Illinois against government investigations and federal charges. Media stations throughout Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, and Los Angeles, New York have featured our attorneys on national shows (e.g. Fox News Live, Rusty Humphries Show, Jim Bohannon Show and many more) for their familiarity of federal and constitutional law.
Why You Need Experienced Attorneys in Chicago Federal Cases
Chicago is a center of federal law enforcement. Almost no day goes by without new discussions about safety issues in Chicago. These discussions have now turned into actions. Federal prosecutors in the Chicago and Rockford areas of Illinois have begun to systematically enforce directives received from the Washington D.C. Justice Department to aggressively prosecute federal law violations.
As a result, prosecutors and investigators from the FBI, the DEA, the IRS, the OIG, the Medicare Fraud Strike Force and other federal law enforcement agencies have begun to investigate an unprecedented number of businesses and individuals in the Chicago metropolitan area. Among the most aggressively prosecuted offenses in Chicago, besides violent crimes and computer offenses, are the following:
- 18 U.S.C. 371
Health Care Fraud.
- 18 U.S.C. 1349 Conspiracy to Commit Health Care Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1347 Health Care Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1035 False Statements Relating to Health Care Matters
- 42 U.S.C. 1320a-7b(b)(2) Payment of Illegal Remuneration
- 42 U.S.C. 1320a-7b(b)(1) Receipt of Illegal Remuneration
- 21 U.S.C. 841 Distribution and Possession with Intent to Distribute
- 21 U.S.C. 846 Conspiracy to Distribute
Financial Fraud, Theft, Tax Fraud.
- 18 U.S.C. 1956 Money Laundering
- 18 U.S.C. 1349 Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1349 Conspiracy to Commit Mail Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1341 Mail Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 1343 Wire Fraud
- 18 U.S.C. 641 Theft of Government Property
- 18 U.S.C. 371 Conspiracy to Defraud the Internal Revenue Service
- 26 U.S.C. 7206 Subscribing to a False and Fraudulent U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
- 26 U.S.C. 7206 Aiding and Abetting in the Preparation and Presentation of False and Fraudulent Individual Income Tax Returns
- 26 U.S.C. 7201 Attempt to Evade or Defeat Payment of Tax
- 21 U.S.C. 846 Conspiracy to Distribute Furanyl Fentanyl, Carfentanil, Methamphetamine, Heroin, Marijuana, Cocaine etc.
- 21 U.S.C. 846 Conspiracy to Possess with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance
- 21 U.S.C. 841 Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance
- 21 U.S.C. 841 Distribution and Possession with Intent to Distribute
- 21 U.S.C. 841 Distribution and Possession with Intent to Distribute Furanyl Fentanyl, Carfentanil, Methamphetamine, Heroin, Marijuana, Cocaine etc.
- 18 U.S.C. 924 Possession of a Firearm in Furtherance of a Drug Trafficking Offense
- 21 U.S.C. 856 Managing a Drug Premises
- 21 U.S.C. 331, 333 Introduction of Misbranded Food Into Interstate Commerce With an Intent to Defraud and Mislead
- 21 U.S.C. 331, 333 Introduction of Adulterated Dietary Supplement Into Interstate Commerce
- 18 U.S.C. 545 Smuggling
Federal cases are serious matters. Just like you would see cardiologist (and not a dentist) to treat your heart condition, you should seek the advice of a federal criminal defense attorney if you are accused of a federal offense.
The Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers of The Criminal Defense Firm
Unlike most firms, The Criminal Defense Firm does not take whatever case comes through the door. We limit our practice to federal law, federal litigation, and the defense against federal investigations and federal charges. Our attorneys have spent large parts of their careers in federal courtrooms and clients from across the United States call us when they need help with a federal case. We are former Department of Justice Trial Attorneys, former Assistant and Special Assistant United States Attorneys, former federal prosecutors, and federal litigators.
- Handled Many Federal Investigations
- Handled Many Grand Jury Matters
- We Got Federal Indictments Dismissed
- We Avoided Criminal Charges in Large Number of Federal Cases
- Unmatched Trial Record With Many Criminal Trials
Call The Criminal Defense Firm today (including on weekends) if you are involved in a federal case or investigation. Speak to lawyers that were previously in charge of federal investigation, grand jury proceedings, and federal trials. Say no to experiments when it comes to your livelihood and your freedom!
Important Information About Federal Cases in Chicago, Illinois
Most Chicago clients contact The Criminal Defense Firm in one of three scenarios: (1) they were put on notice that they are under audit/investigation; (2) they got federally arrested or charged; (3) they seek trial lawyers that can communicate their case to a federal judge or jury.
- Under Audit or Investigation? Few things in life are scarier than learning about a federal investigation. No matter who you are or what you do for a living, hearing from the United States Department of Justice can be a life-altering event. The Criminal Defense Firm’s mission is to navigate you through this process with reliable advice based on experience and proven results. In our first conversation with you, which is free and confidential, we are curious to find out how you learned about an investigation. Did someone tell you? Did an agent come by trying to interview you? Did you receive a grand jury subpoena? Were you served a target letter? Or was there even a raid or arrest? To us, the way of finding out makes a very big difference in how we approach the case and which defense strategy we choose. One of the advantages of The Criminal Defense Firm is that, as federal prosecutors, we have seen many mistakes that lawyers (and their clients) made in federal investigations and we will make sure you avoid those. For example, we have seen how a mishandled grand jury subpoena resulted in the obstruction of justice charges, or how a failed defense turned a witness into a target. If you are under investigation, the best thing you can do is to immediately team up with federal defense attorneys that can intervene and possibly stop the investigation before it gets out of control.
- Federally Arrested or Indicted? To obtain an arrest warrant, search warrant, or to bring federal charges, the government must present “probable cause” that an individual or business committed a federal offense. As stated, federal indictments in Chicago are on the rise. When this happens to you, you must overcome the shock that comes with encountering federal law enforcement and immediately find a team of lawyers that you trust. To get to the point of trust, you should interview different law firms and find out what their experience is in federal cases and, specifically, with the type of offense that you were charged with. For example, you should ask: Who will handle my case? How many federal criminal cases have you handled so far? How many federal criminal trials have you handled in court? The answers to those questions must give you the comfort that this law firm can stand up to the government, knows how the Justice Department operates and can do what needs to be done to defend a federal criminal case. We would be delighted to be among the firms you are considering and we are more than happy to answer any question you may have, including the suggested questions above, in great detail, free of charge.
- Going to Trial? If you are contemplating fighting your case in court, we have good news! The government must convince 12 people beyond a reasonable doubt that you did something wrong. A defense attorney must only find one out of twelve people that simply do not buy the government’s story. However, going to court and going to federal court are two very different things. A large number of our clients started out with a lawyer that was recommended to them in a state of panic right after an arrest or indictment, to subsequently find out that this lawyer’s true experience with a federal conspiracy, health care fraud, securities violations, or federal drug trafficking is insufficient. More so, when that lawyer recommends a plea deal although the client feels like he has done nothing wrong, that may be the time to think about switching lawyers. At The Criminal Defense Firm, we analyze every single case as if we go to trial. For one, we are federal criminal trial lawyers. For another, taking the perspective of the jury or the government, in our opinion, is the only way to truly assess the merits of the case. We encourage you to speak to our former Department of Justice trial attorneys and federal litigation lawyers before (and, likely instead of) accepting a plea.
No Junior Lawyers: The Criminal Defense Firm Client Commitment
Unlike almost any other law firm in the country, The Criminal Defense Firm does not use associates, paralegals, or legal secretaries. If you are our client, former DOJ prosecutors and attorneys will represent you with significant track records in federal criminal defense cases. Also, we will not delegate your case to a junior lawyer and you will immediately get your attorneys’ direct contact information so that you can ask your questions when they arise, not when a secretary puts your call through to an attorney.
- Elizabeth Stepp is a graduate of Yale Law School with over twenty years of experience in complex litigation, including federal appeals. Elizabeth has achieved exceptional success in defending clients in federal litigation matters in courts across the country.
“It is very clear to me that [the firm] has a deep understanding of health law issues. [They have] been instrumental in managing and resolving many difficult legal matters [and] is always relentlessly focused on the critical issues that matter most. [They are] very dedicated and . . . display a high degree of professionalism. I would not hesitate in recommending [The Criminal Defense Firm] for the most important of legal matters.” Satisfied Client“The very best!”
“I hired … The Criminal Defense Firm to defend me in a criminal health care matter. From the first moment I met with [them,] my wife and I knew that [they would provide] the help I need[ed]. And yes, [they] got me out of trouble. No charges. Case Dismissed.” Satisfied Client
The federal criminal defense attorneys of The Criminal Defense Firm are now available to discuss your case. Find out how senior defense attorneys assess your case and what insights and ideas they for you to take control of your case again. Calls are free and confidential.
Call Today for a Free Case Assessment For Your Criminal Defense Case From Zealous Former DOJ-Prosecutors
Federal enforcement in Chicago is high and if you find yourself in the middle of it, you must rely on attorneys with a proven track record. Don’t just hire any attorney. If you are in a federal case or are dealing with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, call lawyers that used to work there, lawyers that understand the process from within. Call The Criminal Defense Firm now.
Compliance – Litigation – Defense